We are working together to:
- Bring attention to the region’s national ecological significance.
- Highlight its critical role as a wildlife corridor now and as the climate changes.
- Communicate the region’s exceptional recreational, economic and cultural importance.
- Identify critical parcels and conserve both well-managed forests and ecological reserves to provide landscape-level connectivity and support communities.
- Increase philanthropic support and conservation-minded investment through traditional and innovative approaches.
With its inception nearly two years ago the Maine Mountain Collaborative has identified the Maine Appalachian Corridor as a vital wildlife and forest region providing habitat resilience in the face of climate change. The Collaborative has convened leading scientists and distilled the latest research on the importance of this Maine mountain region. It has also advanced current thinking on conservation-minded private investment and sustainable forest management techniques. The Collaborative is working to bring attention to the region’s national ecological significance, as well as its exceptional recreational, economic and cultural importance.